Sunday, July 12, 2009

Memphis

Jeff hooked up his xbox the other day, made me think of all our Ridgefield friends. I guess that means we're mostly settled now, and pretty official here in Memphis.

I found an indoor soccer arena just a few miles from our place, and checked it out. The play was pretty much like Vancouver as far as quality (beginner), so I thought. I made a connection last week and got picked up by a team. I played my first game with them this week. I-yai-yai! We got slaughtered (8-0) the first half! I think I'm on the worst team in this league and we played the best team, neither team had any subs! And the worst part was no air conditioning!! I had an evil plan to start working on a handful of ladies in our new ward to get a team together. . .but I'm not sure, I or anyone else is going to want to play in that heat, we'll see?

Maren's been cracking us up with her new words and understanding abilities. She's been saying "uh-o spaghetti-os" at every chance she gets. Purposefully dropping everything to have a good reason to say it. Today she shouted it in the middle of sacrament mtg at church, after she "accidently" threw a bunch of markers into the heads of the family in front of us. She was also pointing up at the lights on the ceiling and shouting "lights." It was funny, but definately getting out of hand! I've tried to get it on video, but she's not giving it up as easily now.

Ryan has officially given up his nap. He's been such a good napper, 2-3 hours every day until now! :( We're trying to do quiet time, but he really hates sitting in his room alone for much time. So, I generally get to have him as a shadow all day! The good news is that he can play by himself really well while I do whatever I do (cook, clean, cook, clean) during quiet time.
Reading books during quiet time

Ryan's been asking Maren, "Maren, do you understand?" while their playing or after I tell or ask her something. He says it in such a sweet voice, while tilting his head and looking at her eyes. She always responds with a resolute "yes!" and a confident nod. I laugh every time!
Here are a few shots of our place and the kids enjoying the backyard.

Living room, play/computer area, kitchen

We checked out the Memphis Zoo with 2 second year Pedo Residents & their families. We think this Zoo is fantastic! We will be back many times with our family pass!

We couldn't believe how active all the animals were, I guess we went at just the right time! These polar bears, just kept swimming laps for us and coming up to the glass to say hello.


Maren getting a very close look at the Panda, Maren & I wanted to take him home with us!


They have a very cool Bird Aviary, where you can catch the birds and they eat right off your stick.


Caught this one all by himself!

2 comments:

Colb, Sar and Cici said...

Maren is sooo funny! It made me laugh so hard hearing about Ryan asking Mar's if she understands and she say's yes! Too funny! Your house looks adorable, Colb and I really do want to come visit and play! Hopefully next spring!

Stephen, Erica, Kalli, Ziek, Sky, Luke, Eliza said...

Count us in for a play visit too this spring - we all must hit the zoo together! I love that little maren! That's all I ever do too is cook and clean and cook and clean (...and everything is still a mess and nobody eats anything...) That's a bummer about playing soccer in the heat!