Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Liberation & Frustration



The day after my post about Maren getting up on her knees to rock she started scooting and hasn't stopped moving around since. As of today she is now up on her knees doing consecutive crawling motions & as you can see sitting up like a champ. She loves her independence and so do I. It's so fun and cute to see such a tiny thing moving around the way she does. However, it has produced one slightly irritated almost 3 year old. Up until Maren was so mobile Ryan lovingly played with her side by side. Now that she can grab whatever is on the ground he gets really frustrated with her. "She can't touch my toys" is a very common phrase now. He has resolved to put all his toys out of her reach, up on the couch or in the corner behind the ottoman. Poor girl, she can't play with his toys, but he can play with any of the toys (his or hers). Lovely toddler mentality, after all her toys did used to be his toys. Good thing she really doesn't care what she's playing with. She just adores him, loves every second of attention that he gives her, positive or not, she can't tell the difference.

On another note, we started the thing that I've dreaded most over the last 3 years, potty training. We've been talking about it with him for ages now, that when he turns 3 he was going to be a big boy and go potty in the toilet. Well, after a very unpleasant poopy experience while out and about in Utah I decided that it was time. I couldn't wait till mid-October.

Jeff had the week off and that made it even more appealing. So, we got some potty books and underware for Ryan; I made a big cake (rootbeer float cake) for him and we had a Big Boy Potty Party (the cake was not as good as I had hoped)! We made a big deal out of it last Sunday night and then hit it hard Monday morning. So, far things are going well, much better than I had anticipated. A week later the novelty is starting to wear off and I do have to drag him/bribe him to the potty most of the time. But he is still really proud of himself when he goes. He's even gone #2 a few times that we've caught him. But he broke down today and told me that he was scared to put his poop in the potty. Poor kid! Doesn't he get that it's so much less messy!! I know that is a very common fear for these tots, but I don't quite understand it. Who wants that mushed up against your behind? We're trying to work through it as atraumaticly as possible. Any suggestions??

2 comments:

The Brewers said...

Good Job Ryan! We really enjoyed your potty cake :)

We need to get together one of these days when both of our girls are awake and happy, so that Maren can teach Malia how to not be so lazy and move around once and awhile... now that Malia is so solid in sitting, she has no desire to do anything else!

Lofgrens said...

Nope. We gave up on round 2 of potty training Trey and are hoping he'll come around again soon. We even rented a potty video from the library for him to watch. He's now back in diapers - again! I know what you mean about Maren - Jada too only has Trey's old toys. So, to her, cars, trucks... are the best thing ever! So, her Christmas present is going to be a DOLL! We only hope she likes it as much as the cars!